So my wife’s family recently discovered the deck log & other interesting tid-bits of their Uncle’s voyage during World War II. I couldn’t resist the opportunity to continue playing with Google Maps Engine.
This is a first draft, but I like where it is heading. Next steps will be to:
- Correct the coord’s so that the voyage ends in San Francisco, not the middle of the ocean
- Break up the voyage into segments (probably by color) to indicate when Uncle Dan was onboard
- Some arrows to indicate which way the ship was heading
- Some sort of visual time delineation to understand the overall progression of the voyage
- Possibly a fly over, but I can’t really see how that would be interesting
By the way, this site was an awesome tool to convert the spreadsheet to a KML file that had “track lines” for all the various ports of call.
A link to the map here: